February 2-3: The FSSF moves to the Mussolini Canal and relieves the 39th Combat Engineer Regiment. The Force was holding the right flank of 6th Corps, alone. They were responsible for one quarter of the beachhead (approximately 11 km) with only 800 officers and men. The Force digs in.

    Click For More January 3: The Force begin their push and in the dark of night attack and secure Hill 724 near Radicosa village. The 2nd Regiment endured harsh weather and multiple lethal mortar counter attacks, but secured a forward position from which to launch their assault on Majo and Vischiatro. January 3: The 3rd Regiment fought hard across multiple ridges and hills to reach the launch position for the assault on Mt. Majo. Machine guns and mortar fire created serious problems for the 3rd Regiment, but by January 5th they had consolidated their position for their assault. Weather casualties were beginning to take their toll at this time. January 5: Colonel Frederick alters the plan and orders a simultaneous attack on Mount Majo and on Hill 1109. Despite difficult terrain and stubborn enemy resistance, the 3rd Regiment, through multiple examples of personal courage, was able to secure Mt Majo. 1st Regiment was unsuccessful in taking Hill 1109. January 7: A reformed 1st Regiment consolidates on the top of Mt Majo and begins its second assault on Hill 1109 (Vischiatro). January 8: In the dark, 1st Regiment walks onto the summit of Mt Vischiatro, the Germans from the 2nd Battalion, 132nd Regiment, after fighting hard the previous night, had simply left. January 17: The Force boards trucks and returns to their base at Santa Maria. After more than two weeks of hard fighting in harsh weather conditions, the Force needed to regroup. Approximately 1400 out of 1800 combat soldiers of the FSSF were casualties (killed or wounded). The Canadian contingent had taken heavy casualties and there was debate from the Canadian government as to weather there would be continued support of the program. But more fighting was to come. January 22: Operation Shingle, the assault on Anzio beach, begins. The 6th Corps totalling 36,000 troops from the British and American armies attacks 60 km southeast of Rome. February 1: The FSSF deployed on LST’s and other naval
    vessels to the Anzio Beachhead to hold a 13km sector along
    the Mussolini Canal.